Low Calorie Pumpkin Bars
With the holiday season approaching and sweets or treats on the way, I decided it was time to do a little research on low calorie desserts. I found this awesome recipe for low calorie Pumpking Bars I just had to share. Although they may not be as tasty as my mom's, the calories will be friendlier for sure! Here's the recipe so you can try them yourself:
Pumpkin-Carrot Bars With Cream Cheese Frosting
Modified from SparkPeople
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Earth Balance (or other butter substitute)
2 large egg whites
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin pie filling
2/3 cup finely shredded carrot
Cream cheese topping:
4 ounces light cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon skim milk
Makes 48 squares.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Spray a 15 x 10 jellyroll pan with cooking spray.
- In small bowl, whisk flour, pumpkin spice, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In larger bowl, use electric mixer to beat sugar, Earth Balance, and brown sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, egg whites, pumpkin pie filling, and carrots. Beat until well blended.
- Add flour mixture and mix until well blended. Spread onto greased pan.
- To prepare cream cheese topping: mix together cream cheese, sugar, and milk until thoroughly blended.
- Drop teaspoon-fulls of topping over pumpkin batter and swirl and cut mixture into batter with a butter knife.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan completely on wire rack before cutting into squares.